“She glances at the photo, and the pilot light of memory flickers in her eyes.”
~
Frank Deford

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Vacation in South Dakota

Hi, I'm back again.  As Julia Child always said, "Never apologize!" So I'll just say I needed a little break from posting.  Hope you missed me!

I went on vacation in South Dakota for a week at the beginning of July.  I hadn't been there since I was a kid, so I really didn't remember a lot.  I stayed in a town called Lead, outside of Deadwood, about 50 miles west of Rapid City.  When you live on one of the coasts and usually visit only big cities, you forget that there's lots of open space in the middle of the US.  The population of the whole state of South Dakota is only 850,000 (about the same amount as in the city of San Francisco), so I spent a lot of time driving through green rolling hillsides, farmland, forests etc.  It was very relaxing. The only traffic problems I experienced was when I was driving on a 2-lane highway and the car in front of me was driving 45 mph when I wanted to drive 70 mph ;)

There was so much to see and do in the area and I took a bunch of photos.  I'm going to break them up into several posts so I can post lots of them and not have you get photo-fatigue!  Tonight's post will be of Rapid City and Deadwood (an historical town, but since they legalized gambling there to raise funds for restoration and preservation, it's very commercialized and touristy).  Enjoy and see you again soon!

Airplanes outside of the South Dakota Air & Space Museum at Ellsworth AFB
(Rapid City)

Since there were many Minuteman missile silos in the area, there was a section of the museum
devoted to nuclear bombs and the Cold War.


Street fair in Rapid City.


Native American art for sale.

Art Alley in Rapid City.

Rustic neon.

Signs of Jewish life in old-time Deadwood (at the Adams Museum).

Can you believe someone's feet fit into these??

Or these Chinese shoes?

Our Deadwood tour guide.
Cross-streets in Mt Moriah cemetery, Deadwood.



The very successful (in its time) Goldberg's dry goods store.

Fourth of July festival in Lead.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back!
    I only remember Mt. Rushmore from that trip...but it seems there's a lot more to see!

    ReplyDelete