“She glances at the photo, and the pilot light of memory flickers in her eyes.”
~
Frank Deford

Monday, June 11, 2012

Book binding and graduations

I've been taking a class in book binding for the last few weeks.  We've learned how to make a few different types of hand made books:  pamphlet, accordion, signature, and piano hinged.  Not the most practical of classes, but very creative and a lot of fun.  I'm planning on making some unique books incorporating my calligraphy and painting skills - plus a little cut and paste techniques :)

Yesterday I also attended the 8th grade graduation of the lovely daughter of a friend of mine.  After last year's Graduationpalooza with my boys, it was nice to just be a spectator.  Tomorrow night I'm going to a wedding.  It must be June!


Book cloth, made from cotton fabric and backed with kozo paper,
drying in the sun.


Hand sewing the text block.


Dick Pio - master bookbinder, showing us how it's done.


My books:
Signature, pamphlet and accordion (with insertions).
The signature has handmade book cloth;
the other two have hand-stamped and decorated
cover paper.



Ms Graduate - yes, we're looking at you!


Graduate's grandma, sister, and friend's baby;
entertainment for everybody!

1 comment:

  1. So interesting and creative....
    Right now we're trying to finish renovations...also takes a lot of ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete